It’s the fourth week of school and we have already had many experiences to explore our 1st unit of inquiry of the year, Who We Are: The Five Senses. We read books, name and describe things in the 5 sensory centers, reflect in our science journal, play guessing games, take observation walks, and more. Thank you for helping your child bring interesting things to place in the sensory centers!
Here is more about this unit of inquiry:
K1 Current Transdisciplinary Theme:
Who we are
Unit of Inquiry:
The five senses
We use our five senses to explore our surroundings and gain awareness of the world around us.
Lines of Inquiry:
- How objects can be identified by the way they look, feel, sound, smell and taste.
- How our senses provide us useful information about physical and natural things in our environment.
- How our senses help us to connect with and orient ourselves in our nearby surroundings.
Reflection, Form, Perspective
Reminder about sharing time
Please help your child remember to bring something to share on his/her assigned day. Schedule here: https://k1team.mismt.org/about/
Reminder about homework
1st grade: Reading and Spelling is due on Fridays. Daily math homework will begin very soon and is always due the following day. Please help students bring their folders back to class every day.
Kindergarten: No homework in math and spelling. Reading homework begins based on individual readiness at some point in the year.
More info about homework here: https://k1team.mismt.org/homework-in-k1/
Important school-wide announcements:
PARENTS, PLEASE REMEMBER THESE UPCOMING EVENTS THAT YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS!
Wednesday, October 1, 2014: Important MIS Parent Meeting 6:00-8:00 P.M. in the Gym
The MIS Board of Trustees hopes all parents will participate in this engaging evening and it looks forward to sharing the Visions and Goals for 2014/2015. You will have an opportunity to share your unique and important perspective as a parent at Missoula International School. Come and discover new ideas and information about MIS that you won’t find anywhere else!
Friday, October 24, 2014: COME CELEBRATE! ONE DAY-THREE GRAND EVENTS-FALL FAMILY FUN!
1) GDay for Grandparents & Grandfriends, 9:00 A.M.-11:30 A.M. at MIS (Parents encouraged to volunteer or register as “grandfriends.” RSVP to the Office by Oct. 3rd)
2) Workshops celebrating Day of the Dead cultural traditions, 1:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M. at MIS (Parents are encouraged to volunteer or join the fun.)
3) MIS’s 1st Annual Fall Family Fiesta & Fundraiser at the Ranch Club, 4:30 P.M.-10:00 P.M. BBQ, Hayrides, and more!
Meet the Whizpops and join the fun! (Parents needed to volunteer! All families and friends invited! RSVP to the Office by Oct. 13th)
9/29/14 Professional Development Day – NO SCHOOL
10/1/14 Important MIS evening parent meeting 6:00 – 8:00 P.M.
10/16/14 – 10/17/14 Professional Development Days – NO SCHOOL
10/24/14 GDay for Grandparents and Grand Friends 9:00 – 11:30 A.M.
Day of the Dead workshops 1:00 – 3:00 P.M.
Fall Family Fiesta 4:30 – 10:00 P.M. (Ranch Club)
10/28/14 School pictures
11/14/14 Professional development – NO SCHOOL
11/17/14 – 11/21/14 Parent Teacher Conferences
11/26/14 – 11/28/14 Thanksgiving break – NO SCHOOL
Esther and John, k1 team