Dear k/1 families,
We are so excited to begin our school year with your children! We are sure we are going to have a wonderful year of learning adventures.
Hopes and Dreams
During these first weeks of school, students have been sharing their particular interests to get to know each other and make new friends. In addition, K/1 students, teachers, and parents have been sharing their own individual hopes and dreams for this year of learning. The classes have used these ideas to create agreements and rules which will guide us in our learning process.
We have also all been working on settling into our daily routines, which include unit of inquiry workshops, writing and reading workshops, quiet time, snack and lunch times, specialist classes, and math workshops. Children are making great progress practicing the expectations for safe and respectful learning experiences.
Units of Inquiry
Next week, students will begin learning experiences related to our first units of inquiry:
HOW WE ORGANIZE OURSELVES (ABOUT 6 WEEKS)
Communities may help people meet needs and wants.
Perspective, Reflection, Responsibility
Balance, Communities, Autonomy, Interdependence
Lines of Inquiry:
- How we have different needs and wants.
- Making different choices to find a balance between our needs and wants.
- How people in communities meet their needs and wants.
HOW THE WORLD WORKS (YEAR LONG UNIT)
Experimenting with materials and technologies may help us solve problems and understand how things work.
Reflection, Causation, Function
Forces and energy, inventions and machines, materials and matter, measurements
Lines of Inquiry:
- How problem-solving is a process that allows us to learn
- An inquiry into how materials work together
- How forces affect the way objects move
If you or someone you know has a special connection to any of these unit of inquiry concepts, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher to arrange an opportunity to lead a short presentation or activity with the classes.
- Please replenish your child’s extra clothes box if necessary.
- Please remind your child to bring back library to the classroom when finished.
- Please take a look at the sharing time schedule and specialist schedules to help your child be prepared for these days.
- Please schedule a time with your child’s teacher to share your Hopes and Dreams if you haven’t already done so.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us by email or at drop off or pick up times.
k/1 team – Amparo and John