Dear k/1 families,
Social and Emotional Learning
This week k/1 students continued to get to know each other by exploring feelings through various interactive activities such as painting classmate portraits, puppet play, drawing, “the feelings door” and conversation in circle. Please ask your child how their feelings change during the day and encourage them to try to understand others as well.
Unit of Inquiry
We also began exploring concepts of perspective, reflection, and responsibility in our unit of inquiry How We Organize Ourselves. Some of this week’s questions are:
What do you need at school? What do you want at school? And why? What is a community and how can we help fill each other’s buckets?
Next week we will explore needs and wants at home and make more connections and comparisons.
Communities may help people meet needs and wants.
Balance, Communities, Autonomy, Interdependence
Lines of Inquiry:
- How we have different needs and wants.
- Making different choices to find a balance between our needs and wants.
- How people in communities meet their needs and wants.
If you have a special connection with any of these concepts and would like to lead a class presentation or activity, please contact your child’s teacher to arrange a time during the next 5 weeks.
- If you haven’t already done so, please arrange a meeting time with your child’s teacher to discuss your hopes and dreams for this school year. You can sign up in the classroom or request a schedule from the teachers. This information is very valuable to us!
- Please help your child get in the habit of bringing library books back to class after use and placing them in the red baskets.
- Please help your child get in the habit of bringing homework folders back to class the following day.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Have a great weekend!
Amparo and John