Dear K/1 families,
New Unit of Inquiry – Where We are in Place and Time – Celebrations
This week students began inquiry in our new unit with the following questions:
What do you know about celebrations? What do you and your family celebrate? What do you want to learn about celebrations?
Here is more information about this unit of inquiry:
Families and other groups of people come together to celebrate traditions.
Perspective, Causation, Form
Chronology, Cultures, Family, Tradition, Global Influence
Lines of Inquiry:
- An inquiry into what, where and when people celebrate.
- An inquiry into the reasons why we celebrate.
- How to appreciate and respect celebrations from other cultures.
If you would like to give a short presentation or organize a child-friendly activity that relates to Celebrations Around the World, please contact your child’s teacher. Presentations usually take place at 9:15 and will occur from about November 25 to January 10.
K/1 students are invited to bring something from home that relates to Celebrations Around the World to share with the class and place in our unit of inquiry center.
Unit of Inquiry Homework
On Tuesday, children will bring home a research assignment in which they will write and draw about two or three of their family’s celebrations. It will be due on Wednesday.
Thank you for confirming your conference time with your child’s teacher. We look forward to sharing learning progress next week!
Finally, we’d like to remind families about an opportunity to use an amazing reading resource at home called Raz Kids. Teachers will adjust levels throughout the year as students make reading progress. There are many titles that relate to our new unit of inquiry!
- Go to this website on your device or computer: https://www.kidsa-z.com/main/Login
- Type or select teacher name: k1MISinternational
- Select your child’s name
- Type password (child’s first name beginning with capital letter)
- Select reading room
- Select Spanish
- Your child may choose a book to listen to or read. Some books have comprehension questions as well.
Have a great weekend!