Unit of Inquiry – How We Express Ourselves
Last week students explored drawings by Walt Disney, M. C. Escher, and DaVinci and then created their own drawings. This week students explored paintings by Picasso, Miró, Bansky and Van Gogh. They discussed and wrote about the artists’ ideas and their process for creating art. After the discussion, students made paintings that express their own ideas and feelings. Next week, we will look at two other forms of art: architecture and sculpture.
Here is some general information about our new unit of inquiry in k/1!
Works of art may allow us to express our feelings and ideas in creative ways.
Connection, Perspective, Function
Feelings, Creativity, Interpretation, Interaction
Lines of inquiry:
- Sharing personal experiences through art
- How people choose different art forms to express themselves
- The process in getting inspired, planning, creating, and presenting art
Please encourage your child to bring objects from home that connect with the central idea.
Also, if you or someone you know is an expert in any of these concepts, please feel free to arrange a class visit to give a brief presentation or organize a learning activity.
Here are some of the art forms we are exploring in the unit:
- Sculpture (Ceramics, Robotics, and other 3D)
- Animation and Graphic Design
Request for materials
If you have any of the following unneeded items at home, please consider donating for our Artistic Expression workshops:
- Shoe boxes or other small boxes
- Large and small paper rolls
- Any unwanted art supplies
Valentine’s Day Cards
Your child’s teacher is sending you an email with the class list so your child can prepare a card for each of his/her classmates. We will organize an opportunity for the student to exchange cards on February 14.
Please continue to use Raz kids at home to give your child the opportunity to read in Spanish at his/her level. K/1 teachers will raise levels as students make progress with reading. Here is the information to login:
- Go to this website on your device or computer: https://www.kidsa-z.com/main/Login
- Type or select teacher name: k1MISinternational
- Select your child’s name
- Type password (child’s first name beginning with capital letter)
- Select reading room
- Select Spanish
- Your child may choose a book to listen to or read. Some books have comprehension questions as well.
Have a great weekend,